18 April 2011

In love lost

I realize the best part of love is the thinnest lace
And it don't count for much
But I'm not letting go
I believe there's still much to believe in

So lift your eyes if you feel you can
Reach for a star and I'll show you a plan
I figured it out
What I needed was someone to show me

You know you can't fool me
I've been loving you too long
It started so easy
You want to carry on

Lost in love and I don't know much
What I'm thinking about
Fell out of touch
But I'm back on my feet
Eager to be what you wanted

While unpopular in the rest of the world except in Australia, Graham Cyril Russell wrote this song (in 15 minutes only!), which title is the cover of their 1980 album. It became a hit shortly after their homegrown record label Big Time Records sold its distribution rights to Arista Records. Only did when Air Supply became known in the international music scene.

The song was also sung by Dickey Lee and Kathy Burdick later in the year, and Demis Roussos and Florence Warner on a duet. Nearly after two decades, a Kiwi pop group Deep Obsession turned it #1 in New Zealand. Grammy Award-winning producer Brian Rawling remixed it in 1999 under Deep Obsession's debut album Infinity.

The other ‘side’ of the soft rock duo, Russell Charles Hitchcock, is a family man with a son and a daughter. He met Russell during the musical production of Jesus Christ Superstar in May 1975.

They were supposed to be with Chrissie Hammond, Jeremy Paul, Adrian Scott, Jeff Browne, Mark McEntee, but only Russell and Hitchcock are left behind.

The Air Supply that we know today has Rex Goh on guitars, Frankie Marino on keyboards, Jonni Lightfoot on bass, and Russell Letizia and Mike Zerbe on drums. Frank Esler-Smith, David Moyse, David Green, Ralph Cooper and Jed Moss used to play for Air Supply but left to pursue solo careers.

Air Supply would release Mumbo Jumbo sometime this year.

"We have just arrived back from Australia and Hong Kong where we sold out every show and received the best reviews of our career. The shows in Australia were especially important to us as we began there so long ago and we are very proud to be an Australian act.” -from the official Air Supply web site

References

No comments: